The bishop called Tyson and me in to meet with him one week in December. We weren't really sure what it would be about since we were currently the Young Single Adult Representatives and had only been for a few months, but sure enough, he told me he wanted to release me and call me as a Laurels adviser in the Young Women's! I was thrilled to accept and figured that would be the end of our meeting when he said they'd also like to call me as the Girl's Camp Director!! My first though? "AGH!!" I was completely floored! Mama was the camp director the year after I graduated from high school and she called me to be her assistant so she, Wendy, and I could go to camp together one time. I'm sure I was not much help to her but I did know how much time and work it took to pull together. Of course I accepted, but all the way home I was freaking out a little bit and poor Tyson who grew up with one sister and 7 brothers and has no idea about anything YW at all, said "well camp is just a one week thing right?" Basically I translated it to "why is this such a big deal to you?" Haha! I explained that there is TONS of preparation that goes into camp and since it's on a ward level this year we will have to plan every minute.
After the initial shock wore off I started to get excited but still felt mostly anxious until I attended a wonderful meeting in Orem all about camp. Sister Elaine Dalton came and spoke to about 1000 leaders about Young Women's and camp. Then for the next four hours we divided up and went to classes. There were about 6 to choose from each hour so I was grateful my assistant had come with me so we could divide and conquer a little bit. It was AMAZING and now I feel pure excitement and energy for camp. I have a goal of what I want to accomplish and a path I want to follow. YAY! We still haven't done much planning because we have to go to another meeting at Mutual Dell which will help me start our schedule and let me know what kind of time we need to fill. Anyway, I am loving Young Women's and can't wait for camp! Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated though! :)
February Fun
2 years ago
You'll be an awesome camp director! I'm sure the YW love you so much already.
ReplyDelete