Wednesday, March 04, 2009

My Little Alien

Well I should probably write something about our upcoming arrival. True, it/he/she shouldn't be here for another 157 days or so, but I still like to talk about it. So we had a scare a couple weeks ago but because of that, when we were down in Orem a week later, my dad arranged for an ultrasound in the lab down there. It was great. I'm not sure how high tech the ultrasound will be in two weeks when we find out the gender, but in Provo it was amazing! Not only was the picture WAY clearer than the one my doctor showed us on our first appointment, but since it was a student doing the ultrasound (that way it could legitimately be free) we learned WAY more than we probably otherwise would have.

We could see the profile very clearly...(I like his little nose poking out the best) They showed us specifically how important it is to see the full white line of the spine meaning no spina bifida and other awful things like that. We saw the two sides of the brain and the four chambers of the heart from another view as well as a bunch of other organs.

Another favorite of the visit was seeing how active our little guy is. This is a good picture of the hand, but the part that can't be seen is that it's most likely grabbing onto the umbilical cord and trying to climb up it. At one point in the visit they switched from this black and white view to a different kind to see the blood and well colored stuff that they know what it is. Anyway, there was one spot on the umbilical cord that we couldn't see the color because something (the hand they said) was wrapped around it.
So the reason I say it's an alien is from the 3D pictures we saw. I will admit it's pretty dang fascinating that they have the capability to produce a 3D picture, but the baby looks a little bit alienesque...or dinosaurish...you can just see for yourself:
So like I said - fun to see such an outlined image of the hands, legs, and face, but kinda creepy at the same time. Like the man said "it just takes a little more baby fat to make him cute...then you'll like to look at him more." I guess I'll just have to be patient waiting for that day. Until then, I'm not sure I love the 3D imaging. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment