Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mother's Day 2011

It's a little bit hard to believe that this year was my second Mother's Day. If you count being pregnant than that makes three! Wow. We slept over in Orem since we hadn't had great communication with Nathan (thanks tornadoes) about when he'd be calling and we didn't want to risk missing it. Since church wasn't until one, we had a nice, leisurely morning with a yummy breakfast of fruit and muffins before getting ready.
Lovely Sunday outfits
Usually I can't take pictures like this but I lined this one up pretty well don't ya think? :P
 Sacrament meeting was difficult since we took Aiden on a walk in the stroller to church and he was pretty upset to have to get out and go sit inside. I even had to take him out during sacrament meeting which hasn't happened for a loooong time! Thankfully, we had Wendy take him to nursery and he had no problems at all! It was so fun to peek in at him between meetings. At the end of relief society the women all got to go into the gym for some delicious fruit, veggies, cinnamon rolls, and drinks. Hillcrest 8th is the ward to attend on Mother's Day! It was also great to be back in my home ward and visit with all the wonderful people there.
After church we sat out on the porch and let Aiden splash in puddles. It's always a tough call to decide whether or not to put Aiden down for a nap at 4:30. We thought being outside would keep him awake and happy but after a while we realized he needed a nap even if it were a late one.
Look at that happy smiling jumping face. He had just landed down on both feet from a big jump.

He also loved touching the puddles...
...and then running over dramatically to show me his wet hand. He makes the craziest faces!
Zoom in and see THAT face. Haha!
Then he found a deep puddle and soaked his shoes, socks, and pants so we stripped him down and gave into his pleadings to keep playing. He was also thrilled to be able to point out his owie more easily.
After a long battle with Aiden, he finally crashed and slept while we prepared dinner and through most of Nathan's phone call. It was so good to talk to Nathan again but also so weird to know that he'd be home less than a month after our conversation. We tried hard to avoid the subject though because it's obvious that he isn't very happy about being done with his mission already. It makes me so happy that he has enjoyed it so much though. It's been a blessing to all of us! I woke Aiden up toward the end of the conversation (it was nearly 8) hoping he'd say "Uncle Nate" like we'd been practicing, but he was too out of it. I guess Unca Nate will have to wait a few more days to hear it.
Daddy made a delicious dinner and Wendy made a delicious dessert, but I only half got to enjoy them because Aiden was so grumpy. I guess waking him up from his nap was a bad idea even though it hadn't been until almost his normal bedtime. He wouldn't eat in his highchair or on our laps, he wouldn't go play by himself, he wouldn't talk softly, he just wouldn't be happy. Finally I decided to just take him in the other room to give everyone else some peace and quiet - especially poor Grandma with hearing aids - and we read some stories together on the couch. After Mama was done eating she came a took a turn while I finished my cold, but still delicious dinner. After a few minutes Mama and Aiden came back into the room and Aiden happily sat on Tyson's lap to eat dinner. Everyone gave her a surprised look and asked what her secret was. I was just starting to feel discounted when she clarified and gave me most of the credit for calming him down. Thank you!
Anyway, after dinner we moved to the living room for Mama, Grandma, and I to open presents. Well Mama just had to listen to us sing a silly non-rhyming song about the gift we will give her next week before Nathan gets home.
The awesome photo collage Tyson secretly made for me at work. I had no clue whatsoever. Now I just have to find a good place to hang it! I LOVE it!
 Overall it was a wonderful Mother's Day, even though Aiden seemed set on proving that it's not easy to be a mom. He made up for the entire day in five seconds though when I asked for a kiss and he walked all the way across the room and wrapped his arms around my neck and planted a big, long "mmmmmuah" on my check. Needless to say, he melted my heart and nearly erased my memory of all his difficult-ness.
I love being a mom. It is a hard job. It is a crazy job. There have been times when I have hidden in a closet and plugged my ears. There have been times that I have literally banged my head repeatedly on a wall. There have been sleepless nights when all I had strength to do was cry. But despite all this, I wouldn't trade it for the world because there are also times when Aiden learns something new and I am so proud. There are times when he says "I love you" or gives me kisses or says his prayers or randomly walks up to me for a hug and a cuddle. There are times that my heart feels like it is going to burst right out of my chest so much that it's almost painful and I just clutch my hand to my heart to keep it inside. I am a full believer that there is nothing better in this world than to have a perfect little soul to love and teach and call my own. I'm so grateful to have been given the opportunity to be Aiden's mommy. I hope I can live up to the standards my own mom set and be as good of a mom to him as she was to me. Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

  1. Good job, Tyson! That collage is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that collage - and I'm glad you had a good mother's day. You're a beautiful mom!!!

    ReplyDelete