Thursday, June 18, 2009

My worst case yet

So there is this condition called pregnancy brain (aka mommy brain, placenta brain, pregnancy amnesia, momnesia, or as Tyson likes to call it: baby brain)...
"Pregnancy brain is a condition that affects expectant mothers, usually during the first and third trimesters. Sometimes known as placenta brain or baby brain drain, the condition is usually characterized by short-term memory loss or forgetfulness. Some medical experts say that pregnancy brain is a myth, but evidence shows that many women have experienced this condition."Well I'm definitely in the category of women who have this condition. I'm a fairly forgetful person to begin with so it's really awful now. Tyson is good about it though and just laughs, shakes his head, and mutters "oh baby brain". It's almost like a new nickname for me now. Well I've done plenty of the typical forgetful things like walking into a room to get something and having no idea what I need, starting a sentence and not remembering how I wanted to end it, putting something down and completely losing track of it etc. The other day I started walking up the stairs to a friend's apartment and by the time I got to the top of the stairs I pulled out my keys thinking I was at my apartment (we both live on the top right).
Well what happened on Tuesday was the worst of them all so far: I was with Mama, Wendy, and Tyson eating lunch at a Subway in Ogden. Conversation was flowing like normal and we were having a great time. I was thirsty so I lifted my cup up to my mouth to take a drink. My cup was literally touching my lips and I was tilting the cup to get the water to my mouth (I probably didn't have to describe that since everyone knows how to drink out of a cup - I just need to make sure you know that the water was pretty much at my lips). So Wendy said something in the conversation and I thought of a response to what she said. Well since that thought popped into my head, I forgot that I was taking a drink and started to say what I wanted to. What happened? My mouth was open instead of around the cup like it was supposed to be and the water spilled down my chin and onto the front of my shirt and lap. Wendy looked at me like I was psycho and I burst into laughter because I had just done something so ridiculously stupid. I managed to explain briefly to Wendy what happened so she started laughing which caught Tyson and Mama's attention. By this point though, I was so overcome with laughter I honestly couldn't explain to them what was so funny. Oh the joys of being pregnant....

4 comments:

  1. :) at least you can laugh about it - I'm a crier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha!!!! I LOVE it! (sadly, I think I already have "baby brain"....at least you have an excuse!!! But just picturing you doing that makes me just laugh and laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina has a drinking problem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Gina that happened to me a lot. At least you can laugh about it. Its good to hear about you guys. You are getting to the end. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete